Reluctant Irishman

Thursday, April 28, 2011

It left me slightly disappointed

So far my book reviews on this blog have been very positive so it's important to strike a slightly critical note now and again. A friend recently lent me The Debt to Pleasure by John Lanchester, a novel in which Tarquin Winot, an opinionated and bitter snob, tells his life story against a backdrop of seasonal menus, and reflections on food and drink.

It's definitely a foodie's book and I am a foodie ("No!" I hear you say. "Who would have thought it?"). And yes, it's beautifully written and very funny - I found myself laughing out loud at times. The knowledge and erudition displayed by the author is amazing and he uses it deftly to entertain rather than to preach. I wouldn't mind trying some of the recipes either - especially the Irish stew and the aioli.

Why was I disappointed at the finish then? Well while it's fantastic as a reflection on food, it just seemed to me to be slightly unfulfilled as a novel. I don't want to give away too much about the ending - but to me there just didn't seem to be enough of a plot to make a real novel of the book. Strip away the excellent musings on food and you would be left with a short story. Also, by about three-quarters of the way into the book you get an idea of how mad and bad Tarquin Winot really is. After that, nothing more you find out about him seems shocking any more.

Would I recommend this book? Well, yes if you like reading about food but not if you are looking for a good yarn.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home